Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bee cutouts - Sept. old Plano house - Part 1

I thought you might be interested to know what it’s like to cut a colony of bees out of a house.

·       How hard is it?  Usually VERY hard!  It’s hot in the protective suit, it’s usually done during hot weather, you usually have to stand on a ladder for hours at a time or are hunched down to get at them, and you always get stung.

·       Do you get to keep the bees and honey?  Yes, although it doesn’t often amount to much.  The bees in the photos below were very irritated at me, so I’m not sure I will keep them.  But found bees are possibly Africanized, likely to leave your new hive and fly away to their own idea of a dream house.  The honey can be good, but sometimes you don’t know whether the homeowner has sprayed the bees, and if they have, you can’t risk using the honey.

·       Is it worth it?  I got $425 for the job in the photos – not bad for 4 hours’ work, and Joe and I split it 50/50..

This first photo is where the bees were entering the house under the siding.

<<DSC00292.JPG>>

J Earl Ashurst  J


1 comment:

angela michelle said...

I can definitely envision you writing some James Herriott kind of thing about your bee adventures and tying them into larger messages about life and nature. Do it!