Saturday, March 20, 2010

Popcorn popping on the Bradford Pear Tree.


Here in TX we don't have so many apricot trees, but we have TONS of decorative pear trees. The builders like to put them in our yards because they grow quickly, are a beautiful shape and who cares if they break during every wind storm as long as it happens After the sale.

- segway -

Last week I got home early enough to take little Ginger with me on an errand to help out a friend. As we drove down the streets lined with pear trees in full bloom, I started singing "popcorn popping on the apricot tree". She doesn't like me to sing to her (which wounds my pride, but she usually gets what she wants) and told me to stop. But the trees were in full bloom. So I asked, "Do you see the popcorn trees?" as I pointed at one. It suddenly struck me that she had no idea what I was talking about and wasn't even looking at the right tree. So I stopped under one and pointed out the blossoms and explained how the blossoms look like popcorn, and when the song says, "a popcorn ball that smells so sweet" it's because the song is about the flowers. What a treat to see her eyes suddenly get large as she made the connection. We made the rest of the drive happily singing the song together and pointing out particularly outstanding examples to each other.



"Spring had brought me such a nice surprise,
Popcorn popping right before my eyes."







Sadly, a late winter storm is moving in today and snow is forecast. It means the popcorn season is over for this year.

It may also mean that the woodworker in the family will have an opportunity to harvest some freshly broken wood. Fruitwood is hard to come by commercially, but it's easy to get it in these parts. Milling it is difficult, but do-able with persistance, and the results are quite stunning.

2 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Awwww, what a sweet little story. How fun for you to have those memories with your granddaughter. I totally remember the first time that Popcorn Popping suddenly made sense to me. It just seems like a nonsense song before you really get it.

Spring is sprunging here, too. Our little crocuses are popping up and the daffodils are on the way. I'm going to ask for a Lilac bush for Mother's Day to plant in the side yard.

Jessica said...

Ever since that day Ginger lights up when she sees a "popcorn tree". She loves those little outings with you