Saturday, May 1, 2021

Side effects of COVID vaccination

 When I got the 1st vaccination I had light side effects.  As we were getting into the car, I felt a weird wave in my head, like a drop of food coloring dropped into a bowl of water.  I was very, very surprised at how fast it hit me.  It made me a little bit dizzy, but not like I was losing my balance - just weirdness.  Over the next couple of days, I had a fever and all the things that go with that, but mostly my head just felt weird.  I didn't trust myself to do anything like drive, so I hung around the house.

When we got the 2nd injection, the nurse warned me that side-effects are more severe the 2nd time around.  She had it right.  I didn't feel any immediate effects, but within an hour my body started to feel very odd.  It seemed like a cross between light pain, and numbness and it was in my head and arms at first.  I've heard that some people with COVID say they feel like they are outside their own body, and I can understand that, but I don't feel quite like that myself.  My body doesn't feel like it has ever felt before, though.  By evening it was in my trunk and legs, too.  I had a fever.  I slept a lot.  I ate too much.  This morning I have a sore area on the top of my mouth, but I can still taste and smell.  I feel very tired, but I don't think I have as much of a fever.  The weird feeling is still there, but it isn't as strong.  Maybe I'm getting used to it.  On the other hand, I can feel it inside my chest now.

I feel like it is tapering off, and maybe we can make our planned trip to Celje tomorrow.  Maybe not.  Too soon to tell.

We have the COVID vaccination passport, so I asked the Area Auditor what he thought about us taking a tour of the mission to meet the branch leaders and do training after our waiting period.  It is something that we were supposed to do, before COVID changed all the rules.  The Mission President went ape over it, though, forbidding us to do such an embarassing (to the mission) thing.  So, I guess we'll just stay in Slovenia, but we intend to tour around more.  We haven't been to any of the wonderful caves, or to the wetlands where thousands of storks live and make their nests on chimney tops.  We want to do those things.

Also, we expect to have visitors:  Angela +2 in September,  Bill & Barbara in October.  We will definitely go at least into Croatia to visit the Benac ancestral home with them.  I say definite, because I think our passport will let us do that without being a problem as things get better and restrictions ease.  We would be very disappointed to miss out on seeing Sarajevo and Belgrad while we are here, but we will follow the rules.


No comments: