Friday, April 30, 2021

A swan joke, and our 2nd COVID vaccination

 We have been in Maribor for almost a year and we are absolutely fascinated by the swans.  They are always here, doing their graceful thing.  Last year I was sitting on a bench along the riverbank when a couple of them were mating.  At first I didn't realize it.  It happened out in the middle of the wide river.  The male climbed on the back of the female and bit her neck.  "That's odd!"  I thought.  He kept biting her unmercifully and it dawned on me then what was happening.  I was amazed she put up with it.  Finally he got the grip on her neck that he wanted, and he pushed her head under water until his head went under too.  That's when it became obvious what he was doing because both their tails were sticking up.  A couple of human girls along the riverbank started crying because the swan was "killing her" - as they thought.

This year the sister missionaries have the apartment we used to have with its magnificent views of the river.  They told us about a mating they witnessed and they were visibly upset by how violent it looked.  I totally agree.

The swans mated early this year (at least some of them) due to a very warm spell we had in  April, and there are now little swan chicks in the nest by the Jack & Joe's restaurant.  They are good-sized compared to other birds, but they're just fluff balls, with two big, black feet underneath, and a bluish bill sticking out the front.  It is hard to see them under Momma's wings.



So, yesterday, Liz and the sisters went down to the church together and they stopped to look at the baby swans.  Sister C. and Liz were cooing, "Oh!  Look at the cute little babies.  Aren't they just the sweetest things?!"  And then Sister H. pipes up, "I wonder how far I could throw one.  Maybe it would fly."

So, maybe that shows how different people are.  Sister C. is very tender and empathetic.  Sister H. is more butch.  Her approach to things reminds me of my brother Jim.

Sister H., Sister C., and a local member

====================================================================

This morning, Liz and I went down and got our 2nd COVID shot.  I am feeling SO immune - even though I realize we have to wait for full immunity.  Last time I reacted to the vaccine with a couple of days of headache, fever and a general weird head feeling.  They warned me that the 2nd dose is usually worse than the first.  Can't wait.

No comments: