Saturday, December 12, 2020

Golden Anniversary

 Fifty years ago, I woke early and prepared to drive to Manti.  I had spent the night at my parent's home, but it was the last night I would ever spend there as resident instead of guest.  Once again, Liz and I rode in her parent's car for the long drive to Manti.  The previous day, when we were there to be endowed, was exhausting.  This day's temple work promised to be less so, but it would be followed by a reception with dinner and dancing.

We arrived an hour and a half before the ceremony was scheduled - I didn't know why.  It seemed to me like there were hordes of people around me that day, all of them wanting to give me comfort, direction, or advice.  Liz and I met together with the temple president and matron, and then we separated so she could go to the bride's room.  I was interviewed by other brothers who told me how it would go, how married life would go, and how the eternities would treat us.  Finally Liz and I were reunited and after a brief, confusing, visit at the veil we entered a sealing room.  I was surprised to see family (from my mother's side) sitting in the room waiting for us.  They had driven at a more reasonable hour to be there.  They knew the sealer, too, although I was sure I'd never laid eyes on him before that day.  I was told he was a great uncle of mine.  He sat us down and talked to us, too.  I remember he told us never to go to bed angry, but to talk until we had worked out any differences we had.  I don't remember anything else he said, until he began the formal ceremony.  I remember that, because it was the important part of it all.  I also remember looking into the mirrors, one behind each of us as we knelt, facing each other over the alter.  The mirrors reflected each other so that we saw repeating images of ourselves going into the distance, each image smaller than the previous one.  The ceremony was short, and we were married.

A side door to the Cathedral in Maribor.

We then went to an office where we signed our marriage license and received a copy - the other copy to go to the county office to be registered and recorded.  Liz signed an official change of name form as she took my last name for her own.  And then we left the temple, posed for photographs at the temple doors, and drove back home.

We must have eaten somewhere along the way, but I don't remember that at all.  I remember being enthralled with the beautiful girl beside me who was now my wife.  I didn't know what we had ahead of us, but I knew this was what I wanted.  I thought everything would be good.

And I have to say that being married to her for these last fifty years HAS been good!  I still love her, and now that love is based on experience and shared wonders.  We were a good, if perhaps an unlikely, match.  We have raised our six children and watched them become adults who are better than we were.  Grandchildren came into our lives and have been our joy.  And now we even have a great-granddaughter who gives us another level of joy.

Oh, what a wonderful World.   Oh, yeah!

No comments: