Monday, July 6, 2020

Looming Audits

We continue to enjoy working with the young missionaries here.  We meet several times per week at our home with them, to plan and when they bring friends of the church for religious discussion.  Last Friday we went with them to a restaurant in Maribor for dinner.
I think I might have mentioned this before, but they serve gigantic meals here.  I look around at the locals and see them fully engulfing their huge meals.  I actually finished my lasagna, but that is unusual.  The young missionaries finish them, but they work harder (physically) than we do, and they are still growing boys.
  The next day we went down to Ljubljana for Zone Conference.  Normally, that would be a face-to-facew meeting with the new president, but President and Sister Field can't travel for a couple of weeks until their visas are all set.  So we met them via Zoom and spent the day getting to know one another.
    This is where we were lining up next to a monitor to take a photo of everyone who participated.  The guy closest to my camera is balancing his phone on a pile of books to get a photo of the group.  President and Sister Field are with their assistants on the monitor.

    It has turned hot here, and we are trying to get out earlier in the day to do things.  It hasn't quite hit 90 yet, but it has been close.  The good news is when it starts to get hot, it rains.  It is forecast to rain this evening and tomorrow's high will be back in the 70's.  Nice!

I am still limping along with a cane.  Actually, I try hard not to limp.  In fact, I try to walk normally when ever we walk on level surfaces, but when I walk on rough, uneven, unpredictable surfaces, I keep the cane on the ground while my right foot is on the ground so that it won't twist unexpectedly.  In spite of that, my knee often aches a bit at the end of the day, because most of the streets here are somewhat uneven.  I try to walk at least a mile each day, and it's not too hard to meet that goal.  It helps that our car is parked a half mile away.  At home I don't carry the cane at all, except that I like to have it at the bedside when I wake up and stagger to the bathroom.
   
    Audit season is upon us.  It actually starts next Monday.  I have helpers lined up and the load is not unbearable, but it will be complicated.  I need to compile a list of the units and who is in charge of the records there.  We have units where no missionaries have been present since March, and those will present some serious problems.  Of course, with no church meetings from mid-March to a couple of weeks ago, there wasn't much to be done in them, either.  It will be a challenge.

No comments: