Saturday, June 20, 2020

Cultural entrance

I got my first mosquito bite of the season.  These early mosquitos are tiny, so I can't say with certainty how many there are, but I only have one, so far.
   Yesterday we walked across the River Drava bridge near our apartment.  First time we've done it.
The swans were swimming, the sun was shining, and rain broke out just after we got back.  Perfect!
We were going to a sewing store because the one on our side of the river had a poor selection of cotton thread, and none in red.  The one across the way is a sewing machine repair shop with a selection of the most useful sewing accessories including full shelves of thread.  We are going to Ljubljana next week, and among other things we will pick up a mission-owned sewing machine that is rumored to need repair.  It is a better, more featured machine than the one we were given by a kindly old lady in Zagreb.  That one, too, needed repair, but I managed to take care of it myself.  We'll get this new one repaired and then Liz can become a more effective version of the sewing lady of the mission.  She has already been commissioned to make a case for a ukulele one of the missionaries bought.
   Last night we attended a social distanced performance of a little ballet starring our land-lady, Tijuana.  Her parents were there, as well.   At the end, her father, with a big smile, said to me, "That's my little girl."  I knew exactly how he felt.
This is in front of the Slovenian National Theater in Maribor.

No comments: