Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy Birthday, Liz

After being married for nearly 40 years, Liz and I know what to expect from each other in many cases. So her birthday present from me was not a great surprise, but it was well received. Now that it has been given, I can relate the sad story of the Japanese teapot lid. Early last year I happened upon an antique store in an out of the way place and discovered a treasure trove of antique (more or less) teapots at very reasonable prices. It was a delightful find. I chose one or two, and then found another one too good to pass, and another and soon I had an armful. When I finally had all the ones I couldn’t live without, I started towards the front of the store to check out. My arms were full to overflowing with teapots and when one shifted, I adjusted a little, which overbalanced the little Japanese teapot and the lid fell straight onto the tile floor and shattered into millions of little shards. I was devastated. Of them all, I think I liked that one the best because of the fineness of the the painting, the shading, and the overall care taken in its simple design. It is the one in the center of this photo.

But the lid was in pieces. I took the rest of my haul up to the register and returned to gather up the shards. They had scattered to a remarkable degree and I found pieces in at least four of the little display cubicles near where it dropped. So that’s my sad story.

We had a nice dinner and party with a special guest, Uncle Keith, who recently burned up his kitchen, was tired of eating steak every night at the insurance co.’s expense, and was in need of a home-cooked meal. The party was in celebration of both Liz and Joe’s birthdays.

The birthday heroes















Joe got jerky and some fishing lures for his lake from his parentals: Liz got makeup from her mother.

















Joe got a boot from his espouse: Liz got a very nice new casarole from all her children.

















Joe got new pants from parentals, but they were too small: Liz got teapots from her most special, true love, the hero of all time, her knight in lustrous, shining armor.




2 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

Thanks for returning the favor with all the pics. It really is great to see them. And now I REALLY feel like I was there!

angela michelle said...

Tell Mom I love her hair in these pics.
Jury's still out on Joe's goat.
Nice score on the teapots.