Friday, June 13, 2008

Techno Disaster

It seems like every other year or so our computer slowly slips away into the land of old computer junk.  This may be related to the fact that I buy used PCs to start with, but still  

The worst thing about that is that it is a pain to try to get all our old data off the nearly dead PC and load it on to the nice shiny, new one.  So, last year I bought an external 160 GB hard drive and put everything we cared about onto it.  I figured we were then safe from computer death and could just move the external drive to any new computer we chose to use. 

WRONG!

The shiny, new external hard drive crashed and burned.  It turns out that when a hard disk crashes there are several levels of how hard it is to recover data.  The worst possible is where the crash destroys the directory that tells the computer where to find files.  In that case, they need to take it into a clean room (expen$ive), disassemble it, and install it into a special drive ((expen$ive) to read it sector by sector trying to recover undamaged data.  Guess which kind ours is?  I got two quotes:  $1,100 and $1,300.   Among other things, all our photo files are on it, including last years photos which I hadnt got a Round Tuitt for writing DVDs for everyone.  I have most (hopefully all) of last years on the old hard drive, so I can recover those.  But at some point, I made the transition to this new, bullet-proof hard drive and all those are gone, gone, gone.  Photos of Roko we took in Calif. gone.  Photos of various grandchildren who have visited us this year gone.  Photos of the great pig hunt where Keith and I took a couple of our friends to a pig-shooting ranch gone.  Photos of this years Dallas Blooms where we took many photos of different kind of flowers, close-ups and landscapes gone.  I still hope to find a way to recover.  Its a dim hope, but the flame still flickers.

So, thats whats new from sad ole Grandpa.

5 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

All the pictures of Isaiah's blessing that accidentally got transfered to your computer when I was there last summer? Gone?

What a bummer Dad. I hope it's not too frustrating for you.

Jessica said...

That's so sad. It makes me want to back up all my photos that I haven't, right now

Mark A said...

Two words...
R.A.I.D
Ok that only one word... or four...
Anyway if you are going to put all your eggs in one basket it better be a redundant one.

Farmer Joe said...

I had a program I DLed/paid for for work that recovers all the data. You might give something like that a shot. It only cost me $75 or $120 or something. My HD was totally gone and there was nothing left - I got lots of very expensive quotes to get the data off it and then just bought the program and walla - there it all was. It was a Christmas miracle!!

angela michelle said...

Oh no! Very sad story!

And Joe--who likes to correct my English usage--that would be "voila." ;)