Sunday, October 7, 2007

The new rooms

My sons tell me I need to post to my blog more often. Probably true. Shortly after I returned from SLC, I started a project I've had in mind for some time. This came about because my son and his family are moving to Texas and we agreed to have them stay with us while they look for a new house. Suddenly we need more room! There is a large, open space in our attic that I thought would be easy to convert to a bedroom, maybe two. Well, I did it, but it wasn't easy. I'd return from work and start re-routing wires and a/c ducts, etc. I thought this would take a day or two and it took 2 weeks of working until 1-3:00 in the morning. Needless to say I was getting sore and tired. I got it done with only one setback when I put a nail through an electrical circuit cable and shorted it out. Next phase was to lay subflooring. It was supposed to be as easy as laying the panels on existing rafters, but no two of them were on the same level. So I spent another week nailing new 2X4s in place to get the floor support somewhat level. Then I had to build new stud walls and nail plates. We were getting close to the day by then, so we hired a sheetrock guy to come help. Some help! He took 2 weeks and it still wasn't done. We paid him off and painted it. Now our grandkids have had a play and bed room and we've really enjoyed having it.

2 comments:

Mark A said...

How about some pics?

Nancy Sabina said...

I second the request for pics.